In the early part of the 19th century, there was settlement along the Lakeshore and Dundas Street area but no village. Streetsville has the distinction of being the oldest settled village in the County of Peel.
In 1819 James Glendinning was the first man to settle in what is now Streetsville. He had a farm on the banks of Mullet Creek. He also had a small sawmill and the dam supplied water for the farm house and the animals. Other families had also settled in the area, Embletons, Hydes, Rutledge’s and John Barnhart.
In 1819 Timothy Street was given a grant of 1,800 acres of land from the government in return for surveying what is now Peel, Halton and Wentworth County. He claimed these acres along the Credit River as he saw the potential of the Credit River and the surrounding farm lands. He did not start to develop it right away as his family home was in St. David’s in the Niagara Peninsula. Timothy built a grist mill on the Credit River in 1821, he made a dam on the river to power the mill. With the revenue from the grist mill he built a saw mill. These two mills were a boon to the early settlers, providing them with flour for bread and lumber for the floors of their log cabins.
Later in 1821 John Barnhart opened up a general store called the Montreal House. This building still stands today on the south west corner of Queen and Pearl Street. The mills and the store brought many settlers to the area now called Streetsville named for Timothy Street. Timothy was married to Abigail Smith. They had twelve children, eight sons and four daughters. Five of them passed away very young and are buried in the old cemetery. Timothy built his house at the foot of Mill Street near the Credit River. It was built of brick and is believed to be the first brick building in the County. His son Timothy was born in this house and was the first reeve of Streetsville in 1858. This house still stands today at 41 Mill Street. The house was designated in 1977 under the terms of Ontario Heritage Act.
Further up Mill Street is Abigail Streets house where she moved to after the death of her husband. The original Street mill on the Credit was in use for more than a century. Timothy passed away in 1848 at the age of 70 and is buried in the cemetery next to St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. Today there are many people living in Streetsville and area who can trace their family tree back to Timothy and Abigail Street.