The Lorne Park area as we know it today is very different from its rural and agricultural beginnings. The area was one of the numerous hamlets and villages that made up the Township of Toronto, many of which no longer have name recognition today. These areas often started to grow around a tavern, post office, church or place of business.

They gradually developed into trade and industrial centres for the surrounding settlers and small communities began to develop. Mill-sites and harbours attracted the greatest concentration of people and most of these larger pioneer communities – Clarkson, Cooksville, Dixie, Erindale, Lakeview, Meadowvale Village, Malton, Port Credit and Streetsville remain integral and recognized parts of our city today.

In 1820, a log road was built from the mouth of the Credit River to the Humber River, followed shortly by a bridge that enabled travellers going from York to Hamilton to pass through Clarkson and attracted more settlers. By 1830, logging was a major industry in Lorne Park. Most of the pine wood was exported to England and the United States.

In 1879, a 30-hectare resort area was established along the south side of Lakeshore Road. This seasonal resort area, known today as Lorne Park Estates, and the farming village located on the north side of Lakeshore Road along Lorne Park Road, were both named after the Marquis de Lorne, Governor General of Canada from 1878 to 1883.

Albert Shaver opened the Lorne Park Supply Store in 1892 at the corner of Lorne Park Road and Lakeshore Road, across from the Lorne Park Estates gates. It offered groceries, fruits, teas and coffee, dry goods, boots, shoes and rubbers. The village of Lorne Park did not have a school of its own until 1923 so in earlier years children had to walk long distances to get to school.

The rise of the industrial age prompted rapid urban growth and a steady economic and population decline in many rural Ontario communities. By 1915 most of the villages, now referred to as the “lost villages” of Mississauga, disappeared and except for a few cemeteries, little is left to record their existence. Lorne Park remained a small burg, until 1968 when it, along with several other villages, was amalgamated to form the town of Mississauga. Six years later, Mississauga was incorporated and now is Canada’s sixth largest city. Even though Lorne Park was absorbed into Mississauga, it remained a distinct neighborhood that retains ties to its pioneer origins.

For more information on Mississauga Villages: www.Heritagemississauga.com