While this time of year – the fall – inspires many of us to give thanks and be appreciative of things we fortunate enough with Thanksgiving approaching, we should also take a moment to consider those who do not have. Mississauga is a city like no other in the country, or the world for that matter, where it has those who fall in the category of being “less fortunate”.
And though we all get caught up in our own personal lives, or life in general, sometimes we may not be aware of that through no fault of our own. Still, there is a way you can help, and you can do so in your local Mississauga area. This can be done by connecting with the 2018 Annual Thanksgiving Campaign and you can bestow aid on those on your own local community.
The Campaign’s goal is to raise $150,000 and 100,000 pounds of food by Oct 12, and they, as well as those who receive the benefits, would definitely be grateful if you are able to help them reach those goals.
There are different ways for you to join the campaign and/ or help reach their desired goals:
- By making a financial donation (every $1 you donate provides 2 Thanksgiving meals)
- Donate food at one of their drop off locations (the most needed food items are canned vegetables and fruit, canned fish and protein, peanut butter and pasta sauce)
- Check up on their upcoming volunteer opportunities (great family friendly volunteer events on thanksgiving weekend)
- Spread the word (follow them in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and share)
- Organize a food drive and/ or fundraiser (check the website below for more information and click on “Get Involved” and scroll down to “Organize a Food Drive or Fundraiser”)
All of this in the mission to “relieve hunger in Mississauga by providing and promoting access to healthy food for people in need”.
The Annual Thanksgiving Campaign is sponsored by Enbridge, Nissan (Canada Foundation) and Tim Horton’s, and is a proud member of the Ontario Association of Food Banks while being a proud affiliated member of Food Banks Canada.
For more information on how you can get involved, donate, help and more, please check them out at: