Mississauga to Better Prepare Residents in the Event of a Disaster.
The City of Mississauga, along with the Region of Peel and the Canadian Red Cross continue to work together to equip Mississauga residents with support during a disaster. Designated City-owned Community Centres will have new signage in place identifying them as an Emergency Reception Centre during an emergency situation. Trained City staff will also be available onsite to respond and co-ordinate facility operations during an emergency event and the Region of Peel Human Services & Canadian Red Cross will co-ordinate emergency social services.
- information about the emergency
- assistance meeting their basic needs
- help planning their recovery from the disaster
- other primary and specialized services
- Do you have somewhere you can stay safely?
- Do you have transportation to necessary places like work and school?
- Do you have clothes?
- Do you have clean water and food?
- Creating a “Go Bag” that includes hard copies or a flash drive with important documents such as insurance documents, personal identification and medical records that you can easily take with you.
- Knowing the number of your insurance company and policy number so you can call them as soon as possible following the incident.
- Understanding and knowing what your insurance policy covers.
- Knowing how long your insurance company will provide alternative housing.
- Ensuring you have your mobile phone and a charger cord.
- Filling up your car with gas so that you have a full tank.
- Considering what your plans will be for the next day, week and month, depending on how long you will be out of your home.