The City of Mississauga decided at its Council meeting today, that it will opt out and not allow privately-operated cannabis retail stores in Mississauga.

“Today, our Council made the decision to opt out as we feel that the recent changes to the retail cannabis model have occurred too quickly and there are too many unanswered questions at this time,” said Mayor Bonnie Crombie. “The province has not given municipalities any control over where cannabis stores can be located in our City. This is cause for great concern. The City of Mississauga may decide to opt-in in the future however in the meantime; we will continue to consult and engage with our community. It’s important we take the time to get this right. I will be writing a letter to the province to explain our Council’s decision and will be asking for greater powers for municipalities to have input into the location and number of retail stores that are permitted in our city.”

The Government of Ontario gave municipalities until January 22, 2019 to decide whether they will opt in or opt out of having retail cannabis stores.

The production, sale and use of recreational cannabis was legalized in Canada on October 17, 2018. Private cannabis stores will be legal starting April 1, 2019 for municipalities who choose to opt in. Until then, residents can purchase cannabis online from the Ontario Cannabis Store. Residents must be 19 years or older to purchase cannabis in Ontario. To learn more about recreational cannabis in Mississauga, visit

What is legal

  • Adults 19 years and over can purchase up to 30 grams(g) (about one ounce) of cannabis online through the Ontario Cannabis Store
  • Adults can have 30 g of dried cannabis in their possession
  • Cannabis can be used by adults in a private home or on private property and in places where it is legal to smoke tobacco
  • Condominiums/apartments can have their own rules around cannabis use/growth
  • Adults can grow up to four plants per household in their residence or in their outdoor space

What is not legal

  • Like tobacco, the use of cannabis is not permitted in publicly owned spaces such as Mississauga Celebration Square, parks, playgrounds and sports facilities
  • Cannabis use is not permitted in vehicles and boast that are being driven or under a person’s care or control
  • Children under the age of 19 cannot buy, use, possess or grow cannabis
  • An unlicensed individual or corporation cannot sell or distribute cannabis
  • Travelling outside of Canada with cannabis is not permitted
  • You cannot drive while impaired from cannabis
  • Advertising cannabis in public is not permitted

More information about Cannabis legalization

Questions and answers

When will cannabis be legal?

The federal legislation that legalizes recreational cannabis comes into effect on October 17, 2018.

What is the legal age to have cannabis in Ontario?

In Ontario, the legal age limit to buy, use, possess and grow recreational cannabis is 19 years or older.

Where can cannabis be used?

Recreational cannabis can only be used:

  • In a private residence, including the outdoor space of a home (for example, a porch or back yard)
  • Within a residential unit or balcony; however, that depends on building rules and/or lease agreements

Recreational cannabis cannot be used in:

  • Motor vehicles and boats being driven under a person’s care or control
  • Workplaces
  • In parks or near playgrounds
  • University/college residences
  • Non- designated rooms in hotels, motels or inns
  • Any place where smoking tobacco is prohibited, including Celebration Square and in City parks

View the infographic

Where can I buy cannabis?

As of October 17, 2018, you can order cannabis products online through the Ontario Cannabis Store which will be operated by the Government of Ontario. In April 2019, you will also be able to make purchases at provincially-regulated retail locations.

Where will the retail locations be located?

This is not yet known. The province will approve and licence retail store locations and the number of stores. The Government of Ontario is providing municipalities with the ability to opt-out of having retail locations within their jurisdiction. Mississauga City Council has until January 22, 2019 to make the decision to opt-out or permit retail stores. The province will continue to consult with municipalities including Mississauga, Peel Public Health and Peel Regional Police on the implementation of the private retail model.

What if my neighbour is smoking or growing Cannabis and the smell is bothering me, who do I contact about this?

Nuisance odor caused by a neighbour smoking cannabis is not in contravention of any City by-law. Neighbours should be respectful and considerate of one another when consuming cannabis on private property.

Will there be consultations where the public will have the opportunity to weigh-in on the City opting-out or having retail locations?

Yes, Mississauga City Council is looking to make a decision on whether or not to opt out at its December 12, 2018 meeting.

Will retail stores be located near schools?

The province has decided on a licenced and regulated private retail model for the sale of recreational cannabis. Regulations include the establishment of a buffer zone of at least 150 metres from the property line of a public/private school. This will ensure that cannabis will not be offered for sale at retail locations close to schools. Residents and the City/Region will have 15 days to provide comments to the AGCO on a specific store location if it is felt the buffer needs to be bigger or there are other concerns.

Below is a city-wide map, as well as maps by ward, showing the location of public/private schools and the buffer zone for each location.

How is the City of Mississauga preparing for legal cannabis?

  • Consulting with the province through the Association of Municipalities Ontario (AMO) to implement the private retail model
  • Coordinating with regional partners such as Peel Public Health and Peel Regional Police
  • Aligning municipal by-laws with the provincial legislation
  • Consulting with public stakeholders and Business Improvement Areas (BIAs)

Citizen inquiries and complaints – who to call?

  • Complaints about use, sales and distribution of cannabis and drug impairment while driving should be directed to Peel Regional Police at 905-453-3311
  • Questions related to health impacts (ie., second-hand smoke or impact on children) should be directed to Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700
  • Complaints about smoking cannabis on City property and facilities and in public spaces such as Mississauga Celebration Square should be directed to Corporate Security at 905-896-5040
  • General information, please call 311 (905-615-4311 outside City limits)

More Cannabis questions and answers