In the early days of Streetsville many of the buildings were made of wood so like most communities it would need people willing to help put out fires in the Village. When a fire happened people would go outside and call out FIRE and the church bells would also ring out. Everyone would rush outside to help, no matter what time of day or night. They formed lines along the street to help pass pails of water from the wells.
At the beginning of the century a number of cisterns were built around the village for use as a water supply to help with putting out fires. A hand-drawn and hand operated fire pump was used to supply water from the cisterns for the fire hose. This fire pump was eventually wrecked.
One Halloween night not ghost but pranksters pushed the pump down Main Street hill where it was damaged beyond repair. In 1912 Streetsville installed water mains and hydrants using water from the Credit River. During these early years a hand-drawn two-wheel hose reel was used to transport the hose to the scene of the fire. This was used until 1939.
In 1937 the Streetsville Volunteer Fire Department was re-organized under Chief Lenvard Lee. Two years later a 350-gallon pumper was purchased and that gave Streetsville it’s first motorized fire apparatus.
In 1949 Chief Lee resigned and Kirby Burns was appointed Chief. In 1952 a new 500-gallon pumper was purchased. Over the years the Streetsville Volunteer Fire Department continued to add and update their equipment.
In the summer of 1958 a new fire hall was built on the corner of Broadway and Tannery Streets. It was designed to house three fire engines with room to add on and meet future requirements of a growing community.
In 1960 Streetsville started a Streetsville Citizen of the year award and Kirby Burns was the first recipient. In 1967 the fire department of Streetsville was an all volunteer department. It was rated as one of the top volunteer fire departments in the Province of Ontario. Under Chief Kirby Burns they continued to upgrade equipment.
In 1973 there were eighteen men under his command including a new truck with a 100-foot aerial ladder. After Streetsville was amalgamated with Mississauga the truck served other areas in central and southern Mississauga.
The Streetsville Volunteer Fire Department was active in the community in other ways. They supported muscular dystrophy research and every December they would drive Santa Claus [aka Vic Johnston] up and down Queen Street in a fire truck. Later they would hand out gifts to the many children who came to the fire hall. Although some beautiful homes were destroyed by fire in the early days, a thank you to the Streetsville Volunteer Fire Department for the many beautiful Heritage houses that still stand in Streetsville today.